What is Male Breast Aesthetics – Gynecomastia?
Excessive growth of breast tissue occurs in men due to irregularity in estrogen and testosterone hormones. The surgical operation applied to correct this situation is called gynecomastia operation.
Why is Male Breast Aesthetic Surgery – Gynecomastia Done?
As a result of men’s hormonal irregularity and excessive secretion of estrogen hormone, growth occurs in the mammary gland tissue. Variable hormone levels, especially in the puberty period of men, can cause gynecomastia. In adults, especially between the ages of 50-69, there is a possibility of gynecomastia due to hormonal changes.
Apart from such internal factors, it can also be caused by external factors such as drug, alcohol use and drug use.
Men with gynecomastia may experience chest pain, swelling and tenderness. At the same time, it can be seen that fluid comes from the nipple.
Apart from such physical health problems, breast tissue that grows excessively due to gynecomastia can create an aesthetically undesirable appearance in men. This can lead to a lack of self-confidence and psychological problems in men.
Gynecomastia surgery helps to eliminate such physical and psychological problems.
Who are the Candidates for Male Breast Aesthetic Surgery – Gynecomastia Operation?
- Men whose breast tissue and breasts are enlarged more than normal
- Men suffering from chest pain as a result of gynecomastia
- Men with swollen breasts as a result of gynecomastia
- Men with fluid from the nipple as a result of gynecomastia
- Men with enlargement in one breast and unequal breasts as a result of gynecomastia
- Men who have low self-confidence and psychological problems as a result of gynecomastia
In patients who are considering a gynecomastia operation (Male breast aesthetic surgery) , first of all, it should be investigated whether there is a hormonal disorder. For this, an endocrinology specialist should be consulted and an examination should be made. Patients diagnosed with gynecomastia as a result of the examination should apply to a specialist plastic surgeon after they decide to have a gynecomastia operation, be examined and get an opinion.
During the examination, the size of gynecomastia is graded according to the Nydick classification. According to this classification, if the diameter of the mammary gland tissue disc under the brownish tissue on the nipple called the aerola is less than 4 cm in diameter, it is expected to pass spontaneously and the operation is not recommended. If it is 4-6 cm in diameter, medical treatment can be applied. If it is larger than 6 cm, surgical operation is recommended.
In addition, during the examination, the following issues are observed about the patient:
- The realism of the patient’s expectations about the surgery
- The patient’s mental health
- The patient’s medical history and diseases, if any
- If the patient has allergies
- Medicines used by the patient
- The patient’s use of cigarettes, alcohol, or drugs, if any
The patient candidate should quit smoking, alcohol and blood thinners such as aspirin before the operation.
In the formation of gynecomastia, the growth of the mammary gland tissue under the breast as a result of excessive secretion of hormones will be effective, as well as the excess of adipose tissue in this area. For this reason, different methods can be applied in gynecomastia surgery
- Reduction of the hard breast tissue under the breast as a result of growth in the mammary gland tissue by surgical operation.
- Surgical removal of the mammary gland tissue as a result of growth in the mammary gland tissue and lubrication in the region, as well as removal of the adipose tissue by liposuction method.
- Removal of adipose tissue by liposuction method, even if there is only excess adipose tissue.
After the Operation
Swelling and mild muscle pain can be seen after gynecomastia surgery. It is necessary to rest for the first 3 days and not to move the arms and shoulders too much. These swelling and pain are expected to go away within 1 week.
Postoperatively, the patient should wear a gynecomastia corset. The patient should wear this corset continuously for 2-3 weeks, and after the 3rd week, it is recommended to wear it only during the day for 6 weeks.
Operation Process Overview
|Operation time||It varies according to the size of the operation.|
|Length of Stay in Hospital||1 night|
|Type of Anesthesia||General|
|Recovery Time||1 week|
|Hospital||Acıbadem International Hospital|
|Result Time||3 month|