What is Bichectomy?
Bichectomy is an aesthetic surgical operation that reduces the fullness of the cheeks with time and weight, provides more aesthetic cheeks and a thinner face structure. It is also popularly known as cheek thinning, cheek surgery or Hollywood cheek surgery.
Why is Bichectomy done?
While in the past, fuller facial features were preferred especially in women, today the face with thinner and more prominent features is preferred aesthetically. After the adolescence period ends and the facial features are settled, swelling may occur on the cheeks due to excess weight or genetic factors. This swelling prevents the cheekbones and facial features from being prominent.
With bichectomy surgery, some of the fat pads on the cheek are removed. In this way, more prominent cheekbones and facial features are formed and a more aesthetically attractive face form is obtained.
Who are the Patient Candidates for Bichectomy Surgery?
- Men and women over the age of 25 (fat pads shrink until the age of 25, from this age they settle)
- People who lose weight but cannot reduce puffiness in cheeks
- Those who want to have fuller and more apparent cheek and facial features
Patient candidates who are considering bichectomy surgery should first seek the opinion of a specialist plastic surgeon. As Soyep, we observe the following issues regarding the patient during the examination:
- The realism of the patient’s expectations about the surgery
- The patient’s mental health
- The patient’s medical history and diseases, if any
- If the patient has allergies
- Medicines used by the patient
- The patient’s use of cigarettes, alcohol, or drugs, if any
- The patient candidate should quit smoking, alcohol and blood thinners such as aspirin at least 1 week before the operation.
As a result of the examination, our doctors decide whether the patient needs surgery after diagnosing these issues and, if necessary, what kind of operation will be performed.
Bichectomy surgery is performed by making a small incision inside the cheek of the patient and removing the fat sacs called Bichat inside the cheek. Approximately 40% of the fat sacs in this area between the chewing muscles are removed. The operation, in which local or general anesthesia is applied, takes about 45 minutes and at the end of the operation, small stitches are placed inside the mouth.
After the Bichectomy Operation
It is recommended that patients drink soft drinks, liquid food and non-hot drinks for 3 days after bichectomy surgery in order to avoid possible bleeding. After 7 days, the patient can start to eat normally.
After the bichectomy surgery, swelling occurs in the mouth of the patient. It may take 2-3 weeks for these swellings to go away. At the end of 1 month, full results are obtained.
Operation Process Overview
|Operation time||Approximately 45 minutes|
|Length of Stay in Hospital||No hospitalization|
|Type of Anesthesia||Local or General|
|Recovery Time||7 day|
|Hospital||Acıbadem International Hospital|
|Result Time||1 month|